This cozy Lentil Stew is easy to make and a perfect vegetarian option for a warm bowl of comfort this winter. The base of this recipe is lentils, which are full of protein and fiber, the buttenut squash adds a silkier texture to this wonderfully spicy dish. I promise you won’t be missing meat when you try this delicious recipe!
This past year we decided to try going vegetarian for a few months, and I really enjoyed coming up with new meals that didn’t involve meat. One of my favourite ways to switch up a traditional beef stew is with lentils. Easy to throw together and so diverse. I love serving this stew with a fresh bun or toasted pita. The butternut squash is simply divine, adding a silkier texture. These days we’re back to eating meat, but do so sparingly and prefer to get our protein from plant based sources, nuts and dairy.
How to make Lentil Stew
1 cup dry Green Lentils (well rinsed)
4 cups Butternut Squash (peeled and cut into large cubes)
796 ml Can of diced Tomatoes (large Can)
400 ml Coconut Milk (small Can)
1 small White Onion (chopped )
1/2 tsp Powdered Ginger
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
2 – 4 Cloves of Garlic to taste (Minced)
1/8-1/4 tsp Cayanne (depending on spice level, for mild use less or none)
2.5 tsp Cumin
1 tbsp Coconut Oil or Butter
1 cup Vegetable Broth (or water)
1. Heat coconut oil in frying pan on medium-high heat
2. Add chopped onion to pan and fry until softened
3. Add ginger, cinnamon, cumin, cayanne, and cloves to onions. Combine and stir until fragrant
4. Add in minced garlic to onions and spices and stir together until fragrant.
5. Remove from heat, turn off element and add to Slow Cooker
6. Combine Diced Tomatoes, Butternut Squash Cubes, Coconut Milk, Lentils, Broth, Onions and Spices in Slow Cooker. Season with Salt to taste.
7.Set on Low for approximately 3.5 hours or until squash is cooked through 8. Top with Cilantro and/or dollop of Cilantro Cream.
To make Cilantro Cream:
- 1 cups Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cups Sour Cream
- 1 Cilantro (small handful)
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
Blend Cilantro, Sour Cream, Greek Yogurt and Apple Cider Vinegar in food processor or blender until smooth. Add desired amount to stew or other desired dish such as salad