Nothing beats a good old fashioned sugar cookie. I use this base recipe for all my holiday cookies, a little crunchy on the outside with a nice soft texture on the inside. I like to decorate these sugar cookies with a royal icing to make them extra special. Perfection!
Basic Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour lightly packed, leveled
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together on high speed until light and fluffy, at least 2 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract (if using) and mix on high speed until combined. Scrape the side of the bowl and mix.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. Mix mix mix until combined. Add in a 1/2 tsp of water if mixture is too dry.
- Form with hands and divide the dough into 2 equal parts. Place each portion onto a piece of lightly floured parchment paper or a lightly floured silicone baking mat. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness.
- Stack the pieces, with parchment paper. cover and chill in the fridge for at least 1-2 hours and up to 2 days.
- Once chilled, preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2-3 large baking sheets with parchment paper or baking mats. Remove one of the dough pieces from the refrigerator and using a cookie cutter, cut into shapes. Re-roll the remaining dough and continue cutting until all is used. Repeat with 2nd piece of dough.
- Arrange cookies on baking sheets 2 inches apart. Bake for 11-12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before decorating.
|Serving size: 1 tablespoon|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12.1g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 7.5g||37%|
|Total Carbohydrate 28.6g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|
|Total Sugars 12.6g|
|Vitamin D 9mcg||47%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a|